HOME PROJECTS PEOPLE BREWING LETTERPRESS ...
Subtext image

Bass Cannon
Home | Up
Concept
Cannon 01
Subtext
For Sale!

   
Bass Cannon - Subtext
Gigantism Rampant in Speaker Design
Building the first cannon was great fun and it actually worked pretty well. So I wanted to kick it up a notch and do things right. We would occasionally have parties at our place with a line up of hot local DJs with around 500 guests, and I felt that we needed to give people something to remember when they came to dance.
Active Components
Driver
I got an Adire Tempest 15 driver, which is an excellent piece of audio engineering. It has two voice coils and can handle 800W input power, with an xmax of 16.4mm and a swept volume of 2.7L.

Subwoofer Amp
KG-5230 Plate amp from Madisound. I didn't want to spend a fortune on this project in the beginning, so I thought I would see how things went with this amp before getting one that would be better matched to my driver. Even though it only cranks out 300W, I never turned it all the way up and it was able to make the room PLENTY loud.

The Tube System
The tube system is built from two ten foot lengths of 15 inch diameter sonotube, which I had to pick up from a lumber yard on the other side of Boston in my friend Jay's truck. One tube was cut in half, with half being stacked onto the other full size sonotube piece to make the front tube and the small half piece forming the back tube by itself.

My friend Ben Polito and I put together the tube system in preparation for a party. The two tube joints are formed by a plywood and 2x reinforced ring system. First we cut the plywood flanges, with a 15 inch hole in the middle and an octagonal outside profile. Then we cut four wedges per flange out of 2x wood to arrange radially around the flange. Each wedge was attached first to the flange by drywall screws, and then mounted to the tube using drywall screws driven from inside the tube.


Cutting the flanges and wedges


Mounting the flange/wedge assembly


Ready for painting

The flanges on adjacent tubes are joined together by 1 inch steel bolts all around their perimeters. This was probably overkill, but it looks industrial and tough. One of the tube joints has an additional flange inside the joint, which accomodates the driver rim.


Drilling for the bolts

Painting was done using our airless sprayer, followed up with some masking tape and spray paint to get the flanges the right color and get some nice industrial style safety stripes.


Gray is my favorite color

The Best Speaker Ever
The assembled and finished unit was hung with 3/16 steel cable and clips from the ceiling.


Suspended


In Context

Design partially original and partially ripped off from other websites
by Holly Gates